A New Direction is a program that addresses addiction and criminal behaviour at the same time. It was created by the Minnesota Department of Corrections and Hazelden Publishing.
The goal of this program is to help participants learn to replace destructive thinking patterns with ones that lead to better relationships, freedom from substance use, and a satisfying life. A New Direction involves workbooks and group discussions led by Harvest House staff.
We cover things like:
- How to examine thoughts, feelings, and behaviours to see if they’re causing problems
- The disease of addiction and its impacts
- Rebuilding positive relationships
- Healthy communication skills
- Identifying internal and external triggers for relapse
- Creating a relapse prevention plan
- Setting short-term and long-term goals for things like employment, health, and sobriety